Fresh Steamed Lobster
Steps for Steaming a Lobster:
1) Purchase fresh, live lobsters (the meat on the smaller lobsters is better), about 1 1/2 pounds each. Place them in the refrigerator (make sure they have some air holes in their bag).
2) Place a vegetable steamer in a very large pot. Fill with about 2 inches of water and bring to a boil, over medium-high heat, with the lid on.
3) Remove lobsters from the refrigerator and remove the rubber bands from their claws.
4) Quickly, place lobsters in the pot and seal with lid.
5) Steam lobsters for 12-15+ minutes (cook time will depend on the size of the lobsters). They should be bright red when they're done cooking.
6) Remove lobsters from pot with large tongs and let cool about 5 minutes.
7) To crack the lobsters:
- using a sharp knife, cut lengthwise through the underside of the tail's shell (where the legs are), being careful not to cut into the meat.
- twist off the tail from body and remove the lobster butter (the dark grayish goop) from tail meat if there is any.
- remove shell from the tail meat.
- pull off both the claws and crack open claws with lobster/crab crackers to get to the meat.
- discard shells and body in a bucket.
Serve with melted butter.
It is OK to email this member (but you must sign in first).
Here are some recipes that you can serve with Fresh Steamed Lobster...
Smoked Trout Chowder